Skip to main content

7 Tools for Dealing With Racism

“Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.”

Tools for dealing with racism
Nelson Mandela was perhaps greater than the world will ever realize. He figured out poverty was man-made and could be eradicated. Borrowing a leaf from his thoughts, I’ve decided to add racism to the man-made and not natural group.
I detest racism. I don’t know who came up with this concept.
It is false.
The devil is a big liar so he must have had something to do with the meeting where big stupid wigs were brainstorming and created the idea.
The idea that your color will determine your IQ, abilities, will be a way for others to judge your capabilities, is false. In the next couple of articles I will show you why it’s a lie.
At some point in their Diaspora journey, a summer bunny may experience racism.
Experiencing racism is a way to ensure you will never be a success, ensure you will never realize your full potential.
racism
To imagine someone putting you down because of the color of your skin will lead you to deciding you can’t do something, can’t reach a goal, give up and eventually not be who you were originally meant to be is sad.
There will in turn be many summer bunnies who will end up as lesser human beings, if not commit suicide because they felt they were worthless, or in the case of being in Saudi Arabia, get killed and mistreated because someone lied to the Saudis that Africans are lesser mortals.
To help you deal with racism I came up with an arsenal of tools you need in your toolkit to help you deal with this big lie.
Self confidence: You need to be brimming with self confidence. You need to have a clear understanding of who you really are, so even if a thousand Chelsea fans in Paris refuse you to enter a metro, you will hold your head up high and know that there is something wrong with them and not you.
And you will go home and pray for them and not go and bleach your skin trying to resemble a Chelsea fan. I am serious. Take out a pen and write 20 good things about you, and meditate on these 20 things until you can say them in your sleep. For good measure say them to yourself in front of a mirror. These 20 things accurately describe who you are and  you will not deviate from these descriptions of who you truly are.
Like I know, I’m smart so if you want to think I’m dumb, you can do that and I might even act for your dumb ass to make you happy and underestimate me even more. And if you think being African has anything to do with it, all power to you.
The real problem with racism is that it hurts the people it was meant to benefit. Because it says you have a good color skin, so you don’t need to work on yourself, you do not need improve the person you are, take a sleeping pill and go to bed.  Because someone showed them an image of Africa on TV and said you are better than that person. So eat your pizza and go to bed. And so you did not develop yourself. Someone stunted your growth and development.
.
Every encounter you have with a racist white person should be one that jolts him to life, makes him know that racism is a lie. Do not give them what they expect, give them the unexpected. Let them go home questioning what they have been told about people of color, and let them know it is a lie.
Back to my point of self confidence, now the chances of you being a confident African in the minds of people who think an African should be starving to death, has glaucoma, should have flies buzzing flies around their mouth is slim to none.
Now being the only self confident person in a room of 20 people with extremely low self esteem will definitely jolt the brain cells of people and they will know that they have been lied to. That will catch their attention, and the focus will not be on your skin color anymore, it will be on how come this African is confident, and I’m not. Someone lied to me.
What does God say about you: Now, you need to know what God thinks about you and not man. Especially football fans. Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Yes, you heard it from the Big Man Himself; my black ass is fearfully and wonderfully made. Amen. Deuteronomy 7:6 For you are Holy to the Lord, your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. Deuteronomy 28:13 I am the head and not the tail, I am above only and not beneath.
Good writing and speaking English skills: I’ve been in a Swedish language course for a few months now. First day of school everyone thinks I’m the idiot from Africa. I am not really bothered by what people think about me, I am busy fixing my blog te he he. A few months down the line,  people picked figured out I was the most fluent English speaker in class. There was this Russian girl doing an English exam, and she came to ask me some grammar questions. Someone told this Croatian girl that I was talking behind her back, and she came to me and said, “I heard you were making fun of my English.” Again not true, blogging does not allow you time to gossip.
But at that point when these girls are looking at me as the English expert, they have figured out that someone lied to them, and again automatically the focus was off my black skin color on to something else.
Note to all these kids in Kenya spelling like idiots. Stop it; you will not make it abroad.
And if you ever get on TV and your English is crap, buy an English teacher before you buy a Rolls Royce. Or hire Claudia of Real Housewives of Atlanta to pray for and coach you.
You’re embarrassing me.
You have to be hungry for knowledge and an education: I know, I know, there are all these stories about all these people who did not go to school and became billionaires. The 10 of them in the world, if you want to join their club, all power to you. But I love learning, I love school, it makes you a critical thinker. When an American missionary pens an article on her free blog about how upset she was because Kenya does not resemble a Feed a Child ad, she is in essence saying “I have very little education, ” and she had no clue. But again, why should she bother, someone told her she was OK and I was not.
Not going to school is washed up crap.
I genuinely love learning, but the other day I realized it had an added bonus.
I got an MBA  a long time ago and now I’ve figured I love writing so I’m going to do an MFA in Creative Writing this year. This girl I know asks me what I my plans were and at that time I was thinking of applying for the MFA. Do you know she called a whole bunch of white girls who someone told not to go to school and  said loudly, “Do you know she has an MBA?” Whaaat? I could hear their brain cells trying to connect the glaucoma picture with an MBA. And they all started making excuses about their own lack of education.
The girl almost had a brain aneurysm, trying to figure out how I could do an MFA and I have another Masters degree.
“Won’t you be over qualified?”
White people amuse me. Boo boo, these are two unrelated master degrees. I’m dropping one career and picking up another.
This girl asked me this question 3 times, twice in the presence of others, once surrounded by uneducated white girls and almost poked and prodded,
“Sweetie, were you going to be OK if I told you I was going to school to become your help?”
Actually, right now I don’t even know if I want to be a book writer, if they had a Masters in Blogging that’s what I’d do next. And if that pisses you off, go sue your media. Stop watching TV altogether, get a critical thing going in your brain.
OK part two coming up.... asummerbunny.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Al-Shabaab gunmen take hostages after deadly Kenya university attack

Militants claim to be holding Christian hostages after dawn raid on hostels in which they opened fire on students and security guards, killing at least 15 people Masked gunmen from Somalia’s al-Shabaab movement claim to be holding an unknown number of Kenyan Christians hostage after a dawn raid on a university compound that left at least 15 people dead. The attackers stormed into the university shortly after 5am in the town of Garissa, about 90 miles from the volatile border with Somalia. Kenya’s national disaster operations centre said 280 of the university’s 815 students were accounted for but did not say how many it believed to be still inside. The gunmen were in one of four residential buildings, the interior ministry said. InteriorCNG Ministry          ✔   @InteriorKE Follow #GarissaAttack Update: Of the four hostels, 3 have been evacuated. The attackers have been cornered in one hostel & the operations continue. 3:05 AM - 2 Apr 2015 Arnolda Shiundu, a spoke

What you need to Know about EDV 2023 (US Green card lottery program)

Success Africa ON AGR with Sylvester Oluoch hosted by Arphaxad Nyabuto